THE UNFOLDING JOURNEY is a new blog written in association with Legacy Genealogy.

This blog is a blend of disciplines that reveal the rich texture of culture and history that surrounded your ancestors' lives, as well as your own. We will take you beyond just the names, dates, and places to give you the "back story" for the reasons your ancestors thought what they thought and did what they did. We invite you to also visit us at the Legacy Genealogy facebook page at http://facebook.com/legacygenealogy

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Civil War History of the 57th Indiana (#2 of 52)

Moving into Kentucky
“We finally got started, and after quite an amount of marching reached the wharf and took passage on a large ferry-boat for the south side of the Ohio river. . . Landing on the south side, we found ourselves in the city of Louisville, Kentucky. Some flags were displayed as we passed, but as a general thing there was rather a cool reception shown us.
“On the day succeeding our arrival, we exchanged our bell tents for what was called a Sibley tent. These tents, when pitched, are about twelve feet high, conical shaped, and will cover a space measuring fifteen feet across. The opening for the door is placed in the side, and a small aperture is left at the top that may be removed to give air or a passage of smoke. When pitched on level ground, they will accommodate twenty men for sleeping purposes. Five of these tents were issued to each company, and two Wall tents for the officers. This comprises the full allowance for a company of one hundred men, as prescribed by army regulations. It was the custom to provide all new regiments with this kind of tent after arriving in Louisville. . .
“Upon our arrival at Louisville, we were to form a part of the Army of the Ohio, then commanded by Gen. Buell. The advance under Gen. McCook was already at Green River; and new regiments, as fast as they could be, were supplied. The regiment received the order for two hours’ drill daily, with knapsacks, besides the regular company drills, which gave us from four to six hours of drill duty.
(Christmas Week, December, 1861, Louisville, Kentucky)
Excerpts taken from “Annals of the Fifty-Seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry: Marches, Battles, and Incidents of Army Life” written by Asbury L. Kerwood immediately after the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment